Tasmania Law Reform Institute Proposes Banning Circumcision
Among its recommendations are:
- A general prohibition on the circumcision of incapable minors with an exception for well-established religious or ethnicity-motivated circumcisions
- Enactment of legislation clarifying the legality of circumcisions performed at the request of adult or capable minor and governing situations where parents disagree about the desirability of performing a circumcision
- Greater dissemination of accurate information on the known and potential effects and significance of circumcision
- The imposition of criminal sanctions for a circumciser who fails to meet minimum standards of care: and
- Setting of a uniform limitations period in which individuals can bring an action against their circumciser and extending the limitations period for individuals harmed by circumcisions as a minor.