The Canadian Library Association (CLA) is seeking input on two issues:
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) User Roundtable: "CLA has been participating in Library and Archives Canada
(LAC) Interlibrary Loan (ILL) User's Roundtable, along with
representatives from a number of other institutions and associations ... Recent discussions have resulted in the
creation of the three documents below. CLA members and the broader
library community are invited to respond to these documents."
- Pan-Canadian Documentary Heritage NetworkUser Round Table on the National Union Catalogue: "Since September, 2012, CLA
has been participating in a User Round Table on the National Union
Catalogue (NUC) convened by Library and Archives Canada (LAC).
Along with other national library associations, CLA has been providing
input on the future of the NUC. Library and Archives Canada believes the
database that supports the NUC is not sustainable and it falls short of
what is needed to serve Canadians and Canadian libraries
today. Because members of our
association are important collective data contributors to this resource,
Library and Archives Canada is asking the CLA community how to best
maintain and improve this service in order to meet the challenges of the
Earlier Library Boy posts about LAC include:
- Canadian Library Association Dismayed by Federal Budget Impact
(May 2, 2012): "The Canadian Library Association (CLA) today released a
statement criticizing the 2012 federal budget which it believes will
hit federal libraries and Libraries and Archives Canada very hard."
- Canadian Association of Law Libraries 2012 Conference Resolutions (May 10, 2012): "A number of resolutions were adopted yesterday at the Annual General
Meeting ... of the Canadian Association of Law
Libraries in Toronto (...) members also voted to support the Save Libraries and Archives Canada campaign ..."
- September 2012 Campaign Update of Save Library and Archives Canada (September 27, 2012): "The Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT) launched a
campaign this year called Save Library and Archives Canada (LAC) because
of its fear that recent federal budget cuts would hamper the
institution's many collections and activities.
The campaign has just published a September 2012 Campaign Update (...)"
- Library and Archives Canada Terminates Inter-Library Loan Service (October 31, 2012): "The CLA Govt Library & Professionals Network, part of the Canadian Library Association, has published an announcement from Library and Archives Canada (LAC) that the institution is putting an end to its inter-library loan service in the next few weeks.
The LAC's service has been an indispensable tool nationwide for researchers and libraries. "
- CLA Member Advocacy Survey: The Impact of Federal Budget Cuts on Canada’s Libraries (December 15, 2012): "The Canadian Library Association (CLA) has released the results of its survey on the impact of federal budget cuts (...) More than 400
individuals provided detailed responses to the survey questions. They
overwhelmingly agreed that the cuts will impact both local and national
library services, with 98% of respondents indicating concern. Areas most
likely to be affected were identified, and include: access to
material/information, research, interlibrary loans, Community Access
Program, preservation, staffing cuts, digital issues."
Labels: catalogues, e-resources, government of Canada, inter-library loans, libraries