November/December 2013 Issue of LawNow: Birth & the Law
The magazine is published by the Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta.
The current issue is devoted to birth and the law:
- Who is a Parent? Not a Simple Question!: It used to be pretty straightforward, the definition of a mother or father but modern technology and evolving relationships have led to changing definitions.
- No Right to Know One’s Past: One British Columbia woman’s quest to find the identity of her sperm donor dad has ended in failure.
- Legal and Ethical Support for Newborn Safe Havens: The safe placing of a newborn by a parent began in the Middle Ages and now is provided in Canada.
- Midwifery in Canada: Midwifery is its own health care profession created by provincial legislation and with its own rules, Codes of Conduct and professional associations.
- Birth, Families and Employment: It is an economic reality that most parents must return to work after the birth of a child: there are laws that can help.