Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Statistics Canada Report on Sexual Assault

Statistics Canada has published a report entitled Police-reported sexual assaults in Canada, 2009 to 2014: A statistical profile:
"There were 117,238 sexual assaults reported by police in Canada from 2009 to 2014. The vast majority (98%) of sexual assaults reported by police were level 1 offences, which involve some or no physical injury to the victim. The remaining 2% were level 2 or 3 sexual assaults, which are more violent and involve bodily harm or endangering the life of the victim."

"Not all sexual assaults, however, are reported to police. Sexual assault is one of the most underreported crimes in Canada. According to the most recent General Social Survey (GSS) on Canadians' Safety (Victimization), which collects information on incidents whether or not they were reported to the police, about 1 in 20 sexual assaults were reported to the police in 2014."
Among the highlights of the report:
  • Majority of sexual assault victims were young females
  • Half of male sexual assault victims were boys aged 13 or younger
  • Delay in reporting to police about 12 times longer for sexual assault than for physical assault
  • Sexual assaults involving a child victim saw longest delays in reporting to police
  • Accused charged in less than half of sexual assault incidents
  • Most victims of sexual assault knew their assailant
  • Just over half of child sexual assault victims were victimized by a family member

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share Subscribe
posted by Michel-Adrien at 3:43 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home