Wednesday, September 27, 2006

What Do YOU Call A Law Blog in French?

There is an interesting little discussion happening over on the law blog of Frédéric Rolin about what exactly the proper French equivalent of "law blog" should be.

English. Simple: law blog or blawg. Sounds easy.

But in French?

Here are some of the suggestions by Rolin and by people who sent comments:

  • Give in to worldwide Anglo-Saxon linguistic imperialism and just call blawgs "blawgs" - Rolin does write that French blawgers who are on Technorati all seem to use the tag "blawg" (ha! vendus!)
  • bloig (blog + loi=law or statute)
  • juriblog - my favourite
  • blex
  • bleg
  • droig (from droit=law)
  • jurnal
  • drog (for those addicted to blogging)
  • the French government proposes "bloc-note"
  • juribloc
  • juriblocnote
  • blocloi
  • bloic
  • legiblog

And as one participant quipped: "I am totally reassured: lawyers will never be able to come to an agreement about the word!".

Thank God for that! If lawyers could ever agree on anything, I would be out of a job.

[Source: Stéphane Cottin's ServiceDoc Info blog, I mean blex, I mean jurilexblocjurdroig]

Bookmark and Share Subscribe
posted by Michel-Adrien at 6:41 pm


Blogger Dominic Jaar said...

Merci pour le lien. En effet, chaud débat! Je croyais aimer bloig pour la qualité de la référence à blawg mais réalise avec l'impressionnante liste que drog est drôlement plus accrocheur!

2:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home