BC Law Institute Starts Project on Cost Effective Ways of Hiring Lawyers
The project will look at options such as:
- third-party litigation financing – where the plaintiff hires a third-party to litigate a case for them, and the third-party is paid a portion of any settlement or award obtained
- publicly-funded litigation funds, particularly for cases in the public interest like class action liability cases, or human rights cases;
- crowdfunded litigation financing
- legal insurance, which would indemnify plaintiffs and defendants against legal costs in return for paying monthly or annual premiums;
- unbundled legal services, which would allow individuals to hire lawyers for discrete contracts on specific parts of their case (such as drafting pleadings, assisting with mediation, or court representation)
A longer backgrounder is available on the BCLI website.