Monday, May 18, 2020

Law Library of Congress Interview With Metadata Intern Tori Stanek

In Custodia Legis, the blog of the Law Library of Congress in Washington, D.C., has posted an interview with Tori Stanek, Remote Metadata Intern. It is part of an ongoing series of interviews:
"How would you describe your job to other people?
As an intern for the Law Library of Congress, I create and edit indices for newly digitized historical and legal materials. I append appropriate keywords to document records and derive my own search terms to ensure users can both collocate and differentiate among documents. A big part of my job is ensuring that there is consistency between indexing depth, vocabulary, and formatting. While I’ve worked with a number of document types, I was particularly excited to help provide access to a special volume of the United States Statutes at Large collection that contained Native American treaties (...)"

"Why did you want to work in the Library of Congress?
My incredible graduate cataloging course made me appreciate the ethical responsibilities of accurate document representation. I had enough of a background in law to know this was an area of interest for me, and I applied for an internship because it provided a way for me to promote equity at the access point of information. I firmly believe that one can make a difference through provision of legal information, and this internship was my jumping off point."
The Law Library of Congress is the world’s largest law library, with a collection of almost 3 million volumes from all ages of history and virtually every jurisdiction in the world.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share Subscribe
posted by Michel-Adrien at 8:09 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home