Saturday, April 25, 2015

Adult and Youth Correctional Statistics in Canada

The Statistics Canada publication Juristat recently published 2 articles on the correctional system:
  • Adult correctional statistics in Canada, 2013/2014: "In 2013/2014, on any given day, there were on average 139,337 adult offenders being supervised in either provincial/territorial or federal correctional services. In the 10 reporting provinces and territories for which both custody and community data were available, there were a total of 116,442 adult offenders in either custody or a community program on a given day. This represents a rate of 492 offenders per 100,000 adult population, a decrease of 4% from the previous year and a decline of 12% compared to five years earlier ... In addition, on a typical day, there were 22,895 adult offenders in the federal correctional system. This represented a rate of 81 per 100,000 adult population, a figure that was down 3% from the previous year. However, compared to 2009/2010, the federal rate was up (4%). More than 8 in 10 adults under correctional supervision in the provinces and territories in 2013/2014 were in the community (82%) and the remaining 18% were in custody."
  • Youth correctional statistics in Canada, 2013/2014: "The majority of youth who are involved with the youth correctional system are being supervised in community corrections rather than in custody. In 2013/2014, for the nine reporting jurisdictions, there were 9,458 youth being supervised on an average day ... Of this total, 90% were being supervised in the community, primarily while serving a sentence of probation. These findings are consistent with the YCJA sentencing principles which state that all sanctions other than custody should be considered for youth whenever appropriate. The average daily rate of youth involved in correctional services was 63 per 10,000 youth population. This was down 9% from the year before and 25% from five years earlier. The youth crime rate has also been decreasing over the last decade ... There were declines in both the youth custody and community populations in 2013/2014.  On average 8,514 youth were being supervised in the community on a typical day.  This equated to a rate of 57 young persons per 10,000 youth, a figure that was down 9% from the previous year and 26% lower than five years earlier.  There were 1,019 young persons in custody on any given day, resulting in a youth incarceration rate of 6 per 10,000 youth population. The youth incarceration rate declined from 7 per 10,000 youth in 2012/2013 and dropped for the sixth consecutive year, continuing the downward trend since the rate peaked in the mid-1990s"

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share Subscribe
posted by Michel-Adrien at 4:32 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home